volunteer work for the eastern Japan Great Earthquake @ Iwate pref. Part1

I have participated in a volunteer work for eastern Japan great earthquake during Aug 8th to 11th.
5 months has already passed since 3.11, but I didn't have any chance to visit there until recently.

So, under favor of my first summer vacation, I used a tour of volunteer.
Actually, still there were a lot of tours provides us to go to Tohoku region and work as a volunteer.
I had no experience working it thus, there were some concern that whether I could do.

I finally chose below.
http://b.volunteer-platform.org/vb/ (Japanese)
It is a bus tour with two days volunteer work and 1day visiting Hiraizumi recently designated as a world heritage. Everything was first for me but I took part in alone.

At night of  Aug 8th, it departured to Iwate and arrived at Miyakoshi morning of Aug 9th.

For a long time, our bus was drinving in woods, but suddenly the scenery has changed when it came close to the sea.
Though I had many chance to see how the situation is, I knew how massive the Tsunami damaged the places, however, the actual ones where I see by my eyes are really scary because many buildings lost its walls, windows, and metalic polls which should be more strong were like string.
I lost words to say.

The first day of volunteer work was to help debris removal of a hotel at Namiita sea coast.
The volunteer worker carried a lot of stuff, which were damaged by the Tsunami such as clothes, chairs, wooden things, tables, furnitures etc, almost all became garbage.

The Tsunami came and attacked B1F to 2nd Floor of the hotel.
Some employee became victimes and they have not been founded yet.
The damage was really massive and it destroyed not only the buildings, but also people's mind.

The hotel was located just right to the sea, and still high wave was attacking.

Namiita seashore was one of the most popular sea coast in Iwate Prefecture,
I heard that in summer season, a lot of tourists comes and stay there, however, the earthquake brought 1 meter height of  land sinking and made the sea coast disappear.

So, even if they recoverd from the disaster, what could be a trigger to gather tourists again?
I can't imagine how hard it is.

However, the people there had very positive minds.
Actually, reconstruction of the hotel costs 10 billion yen.

The problem I think is, there are no supports for them.
Fisher industry can help support from the government, of course it is small, though.
But tourism industry can have no supoprt like that at this moment.

And financial institution which finance them is also weak and even if they had, less possiblity of profit makes them difficult to have a opportunity.

I want to think a way they can raise money for reconstruction.
to be continued,  later!

For people who are interested in the situation, see below.

コメント